Page 8 of 107, 1066 Total

NBN Co turns to RSPs for new wholesale bundle pricing

29 May 2018
NbnNews

The company behind Australia’s National Broadband Network (NBN) is gearing up to introduce new wholesale bundle pricing for fixed wireless services and its entry-level, low-usage broadband offering.

NBN Co said in a blog post on 25 May that it is now beginning to consult with NBN retail service providers (RSPs), such as phone and internet providers, on pricing bundles for its wholesale NBN fixed wireless plans.

According to the company, the aim is for the fixed access and bandwidth price options to remove the requirement to retain separate charges for providers to support fixed wireless services under its existing two-part price construct.

The move would mirror what the company has done with its top tier fixed-line network services pricing – combining the network access charges with some network connectivity virtual circuit (CVC) bandwidth capacity.

To continue reading the article: click here. (arnnet.com.au)

Kogan boss pokes fun at Telstra after network outages

29 May 2018
TelstraNews

The boss of online retail giant and mobile service provider Kogan has poked fun at Telstra after its series of network outages in May.

Ruslan Kogan posted a message to his 230,000+ LinkedIn followers on Saturday highlighting the “fewer interruptions” ad campaign from Telstra – seemingly having a subtle dig at the telco giant’s high-profile outages throughout the month.

“The Telstra marketing team choosing to continue to pump ‘fewer interruptions’ as a key selling proposition is an interesting initiative,” the post said.

Mr Kogan shared the video of Telstra’s TV commercial that claims its network is more reliable, has fewer interruptions and has a 4G backup on its new Gateway Modem.

Telstra has suffered at least two high-profile mobile network outages over the last month. Last week, Telstra users in Melbourne, Canberra, Sydney, Hobart, Brisbane and Perth all reported their network was down.

To continue reading the article: click here. (canstarblue.com.au)

NBN eyes changes to fixed wireless pricing, voice-focused product

29 May 2018
NbnNews

NBN is planning to offer two new bundled offerings for retail service providers (RSPs), with the wholesaler launching new consultations with telcos on the proposals.

NBN intends to introduce a new low-end product designed primarily for voice and a new pricing option for its fixed wireless service.

NBN CEO Bill Morrow foreshadowed the launch of the consultations last week at a Senate Estimates hearing.

The move follows the launch in May of NBN’s newest wholesale pricing constructs, with the company for the first time offering time bundled products for retailers. Unlike earlier products, the new 50Mbps and 100Mbps products include a small amount of capacity in the monthly price. Previously NBN had separate access (AVC, charged per user) and capacity (CVC, shared between all users) charges — with under-provisioning of capacity a key source of slow speeds for some end users.

To continue reading the article: click here. (computerworld.com.au)

Telstra to begin work on mobile coverage in Geelong rail tunnel

28 May 2018
TelstraNews

Telstra will begin working next month on the provision of mobile coverage in the Geelong rail tunnel, the company said in a statement today. A critical part of the work is expected to be completed by the end of June.

The funds for the work come from the Victorian Government Regional Rail Connectivity Project which will spend $18 million to provide coverage along the state's five busiest rail lines: Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo. Traralgon and Seymour.

Providing coverage for the Geelong line will include building two new mobile base stations at Little River East and Tarneit, and co-locating on a new site at Little River South.

Telstra, Optus and Vodafone will fund construction of the required mobile base stations so that the Victorian Government can use its investment on the in-train repeaters.

To continue reading the article: click here. (itwire.com)

David Teoh throws all TPG Telecom's chips on the table

26 May 2018
TpgNews

TPG Telecom's aggressive entry into the intensely competitive Australian mobile market is set to shake the ground underneath Telstra, Optus and Vodafone Hutchison Australia.

But questions remain over the quality of a network being built for just $600 million, and if TPG can make any money from its ambitious plans.

TPG won't make any money from each mobile subscriber for their first six months after unveiling a scorched-earth strategy based on a $0 unlimited data plan. Subscribers will then be charged $9.99 a month.

But the fine print is key to understanding the strategy, at least in the short term. TPG's advertising pitch to would-be users is that the first plan is mobile data only, no voice included. TPG won't make traditional voice calls available until later down the road.

To continue reading the article: click here. (afr.com)

Bendigo outer areas on fixed wireless might 'never' get speeds of 100 mbps after NBN Co admission

25 May 2018
NbnNews

RESIDENTS on Bendigo’s outer fringes connected to fixed wireless NBN might “never” receive 100 megabit per second internet after an admission by NBN boss Bill Morrow during Senate Estimates this week.

But NBN Co has not ruled out revisiting the speeds in the future, and will instead focus on building capacity of the fixed wireless network.

Large numbers of residents in Junortoun, Strathfieldsaye, Huntly, Epsom and other areas close to Bendigo’s urban boundary are required to connect to fixed wireless NBN, transmitted using mobile towers.

NBN initially planned to introduce speeds up to 100 mbps for fixed wireless customers in December, but that has been cancelled.

To continue reading the article: click here. (bendigoadvertiser.com.au)

Joondaup council rejects Optus proposal for phone tower at Camberwarra Park, Craigie

25 May 2018
OptusNews

OPTUS has failed in its bid to install a telecommunications tower at Camberwarra Park in Craigie.

At last week’s meeting Joondalup councillors unanimously refused the proposal for a galvanised monopole telecommunications tower to a maximum height of 31.75 with three antennas and a ground equipment shelter located next to the tennis courts and toilet block and about 23m from the nearest residential property.

Works would also require the relocation of the tennis court lighting.

The proposal was advertised for public comment to 639 property owners within 400m of the site, with the City receiving 49 submissions, of which 44 were objections, and a 145-signature petition, of which 136 were opposed.

To continue reading the article: click here. (communitynews.com.au)

Stirling residents urged to have say on proposed Mirrabooka Optus mobile phone tower

25 May 2018
OptusNews

CITY of Stirling residents can have their say on a proposed Optus mobile phone tower in Mirrabooka.

Optus has proposed a commercial mobile phone base station at 17 Northwood Drive, Mirrabooka.

The proposal includes the installation of a 23.8m high steel monopole (26.5 overall structure height), six panel antennas mounted to a headframe at the top of the monopole, 18 remote radio units mounted at 25.5m, 18 remote radio units mounted at 24.5m, ancillary equipment and shelter.

The land is reserved as ‘Parks and Recreation’ under the Metropolitan Region Scheme, which means the development application will be determined by the WA Planning Commission.

To continue reading the article: click here. (communitynews.com.au)

Land issues block mobile towers

25 May 2018
TelstraNews

Plans for two mobile blackspot towers on the south coast are in an indefinite limbo because of unresolved land issues involving local government and land owners approval.

Telstra said it had exhausted all options to build mobile towers in Ocean Beach in Denmark and Napier, north of Albany, as part of the Federal Government Mobile Black Spot Program.

Plans for a tower in Napier were snagged when the landholder cancelled a lease agreement for the site in June last year. Since then, Telstra has investigated alternative sites but told O’Connor MP Rick Wilson’s office “all alternative site operations in the area had been exhausted.”

The Advertiser understands Telstra approached several other landholders in the semi-rural area but they were unwilling to enter a lease agreement for a tower.

To continue reading the article: click here. (thewest.com.au)

Virgin Mobile to shut down in Australia, with up to 200 jobs at stake

24 May 2018
OptusNews

Optus is set to pull the plug on its Virgin Mobile brand, closing 36 stores and putting up to 200 jobs at risk across Australia.

A spokesperson from Optus told CRN that affected customers will be contacted "in the coming days" about the changes and their options. The Virgin Mobile brand is set to be phased out over the next two years.

"Virgin Mobile customers can continue to use their service in the same way they always have," the spokesperson said.

"For Virgin Mobile employees, our policy is always to talk to those who may be impacted by these changes first."

Optus confirmed that it is in talks with affected Virgin Mobile retail and corporate staff and is looking at whether some staff can be reassigned to Optus stores.

To continue reading the article: click here. (crn.com.au)

Page 8 of 107, 1066 Total
top