New mobile phone towers for Lower Norton, Brim and Pomonal under Optus deal
The state government has announced a partnership with the telecommunications provider to build 25 new mobile towers throughout regional Victoria, providing 5000 households and businesses with new mobile coverage.
New towers at Lower Norton, Brim and Pomonal are included in the plan.
The tower sites were chosen to provide, when built, consistent mobile coverage to more than 800 premises that previously had poor or no mobile services.
Bushfire prone areas were also considered a priority.
Optus contributed a majority of the funds for the $16 million co-investment with the state government for new towers across Victoria.
Victorian Innovation and the Digital Economy Minister Philip Dalidakis said the towers were due to be completed by the end of 2018.
To continue reading the article: click here. (araratadvertiser.com.au)
Mobile phone tower to go ahead at car wash site
MOBILE phone reception will get a boost in and around a car wash site at 2814-2818 Logan Rd, Underwood. Logan City Council gave initial approval for a 26.5m telecommunications tower which will service parts of Rochedale South and Underwood including along Logan Rd and the M1.
The 1619 sqm car wash site is in a commercial zoning with the nearest house 33m away. But the “Specialised Centre” zoning does not allow structures over 26m, which forced the council to assess the impact of the pole on surrounds.
To continue reading the article: click here. (couriermail.com.au)
Behind Queensland-based LinkOne's ambitious 5G network to rival the NBN
Todd Maunder established LinkOne in 2015 at the age of 25 with the sole purpose to improve the network of his voice over internet protocol (VoIP) business Anttel Communications, after being unsatisfied with what other service providers had on offer.
The network is a hybrid of optic fibre and fixed-point wireless using millimetre-wave (MMW) technology, which LinkOne says can deliver speeds from 500Mbps to 10Gbps.
“I built LinkOne in response to the shortage of reliable high-speed data connectivity in Australia,” Maunder said.
“Copper-based ethernet technology was becoming increasingly difficult to provision and support to the point there was no margin left in the service to make it worthwhile for an ISP.”
Millimetre-wave, also known as extremely high frequency (EHF), is the band of spectrum between 30Ghz and 300Ghz, which is being used to test 5G wireless broadband technology.
To continue reading the article: click here. (crn.com.au)
Broadband, mobile prices fall: ACCC
The price of broadband and mobile services has fallen over the past year, but more can be done by the small number of players in the market, the competition watchdog says.
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission released a draft market study for the communications sector on Monday.
The study showed while 96 per cent of the broadband market is held by four providers - Telstra, Optus, TPG and Vocus - prices had fallen by 10 per cent in 2016/17.
Mobile phone service prices are down 2.8 per cent, despite three companies accounting for 91 per cent of the market.
The report found that more than halfway through the rollout of the national broadband network, there were "challenges" in terms of meeting customer expectations and competition from wireless plans.
It noted the number of complaints about the NBN was up 79 per cent, with most customers (84 per cent) on speeds of between 12-to-25 mbps (megabits per second).
To continue reading the article: click here. (sbs.com.au)
Exetel to offer NBN-like mobile service
Exetel is set to offer a base NBN-like service to home users that is underpinned by the Optus 4G network.
The retail service provider was today revealed to be the first customer of a new “home wireless broadband” product offered by Optus Wholesale.
The product is being billed as “a viable fixed broadband alternative” and will be targeted at “people living in areas where [the] NBN has not yet been rolled out”.
Exetel’s website indicates the retail package will include 200GB of data for $69.99 a month, with contract terms on a month-to-month basis.
In metro areas where Optus has 2300MHz coverage, the speeds on offer will be “up to 12/1 Mbps”, equivalent to the most basic speed tier on the NBN.
Outside of that, customers may still be able to get a service but at a maximum 5/1 Mbps.
To continue reading the article: click here. (itnews.com.au)
Latest technology to improve mobile phone coverage in Comboyne
Another major blackspot for mobile phone coverage has been eliminated thanks to the Federal Government’s Mobile Blackspots programme.
Federal Member for Lyne Dr David Gillespie joined members of the Comboyne community and Telstra representatives as the 200th new Telstra base station kicked into action.
The new base station is delivering Telstra’s 3G and state of the art 4GX mobile data services to the region for the first time.
This allows the community to keep in contact with family and friends and run their businesses more effectively, whether by speaking on the phone or using a range of online services over our fast mobile network
The Comboyne project has been funded under round three of the programme.
Mount Seaview is being funded under Round Three. Carriers are being invited to tender for that service.
To continue reading the article: click here. (wauchopegazette.com.au)
Victoria hits out at Mobile blackspot funding, invests with Optus
THE VICTORIAN Labor government is hitting out at federal mobile funding programs, as it taps a commercial solution to target its areas of poor coverage.
Minister for trade, investment and the digital economy Philip Dalidakis says Victoria is co-investing with Optus in a $16 million program to build 25 regional tower because “the federal government stiffed Victorians again in infrastructure funding”.
Mr Dalidakis is angry at a perceived lack of consultation over locations nominated by the federal government for Victoria in the third round of blackspot funding, arguing locations nominated by the state were overlooked.
The blackspot program combines $220 million in Commonwealth funding to leverage investment from states and telcos to build new mobile phone towers in under serviced areas. The program is worth $600m in total.
To continue reading the article: click here. (northqueenslandregister.com.au)
Victoria laments being “short-changed” by Mobile Black Spot Program
The state Government said it is partnering with Optus to build the 25 new mobile towers throughout regional Victoria
The Victorian Government has complained of being “short-changed” by the Federal Government’s ongoing Mobile Black Spot Program as it co-funds 25 new mobile towers in partnership with Optus.
The state Government said it is partnering with Optus to build the 25 new mobile towers throughout regional Victoria, in a bid to provide 5,000 households and businesses with new mobile coverage.
The 25 new mobile towers are being constructed across 15 local government areas and will all be up and running by the end of 2018. The first tower, in Nanneella in Northern Victoria, was turned on earlier this month.
However, the co-funding commitment comes as the state’s Labor Government makes claims it has been “short-changed” in the latest round of the Federal Government’s Mobile Black Spot Program (MBSP) – due largely to a “severe lack of consultation”.
To continue reading the article: click here. (arnnet.com.au)
Phone and internet coverage set to improve in Newham
Phone and internet coverage is set to improve in Newham, after Macedon Ranges council approved two new telecommunications facilities.
But the council rejected plans for a New Gisborne facility because of concerns about its visual impact.
A 40-metre high monopole, designed to provide access to both Optus mobile telephone coverage and the NBN network, has been approved for both 56 Bryces Lane and 1224 Rochford Road, Newham.
One objection to the Bryces Lane tower, which will be 2.8 kilometres to the east of Hanging Rock, was heard by the council at its meeting last week.
A representative of a nearby resident said the tower was “extremely close to Hanging Rock” and would be in the viewline of Hanging Rock visitors.
However, the council was assured the tower would not penetrate the skyline and would be a colour that would blend in with the environment.
To continue reading the article: click here. (starweekly.com.au)
Vodafone's NBN plans may include voice-over-WiFi, virtual landlines
Vodafone Australia is market testing a product called “nbn extras” that will see it offer voice-over-WiFi or a virtual landline that redirects to mobile phones.
Friends of The Register tell us that the company is using paid online surveys to test the ideas illustrated below.
Our sources tell us that Vodafone is asking punters what they'd pay for the services outlined above, and if they would shift consumer attitudes towards the carrier. The surveys even ask for feedback on names including “virtual phone”, “NBN extras” and “landline”.
In 2016 Vodafone announced its intention to become a retailer of services carried on Australia's national broadband network (NBN), a departure from its usual wireless fare.
To continue reading the article: click here. (theregister.co.uk)