Mobile phone outage may disrupt triple-0 access in three Brisbane suburbs
Mobile phone users in three Brisbane suburbs may be unable to contact triple-0 for weeks as upgrades to a local shopping centre will cut power to telecommunications infrastructure.
Telstra texted customers in Gaythorne, Mitchelton and Everton Park last week warning of network disruptions between January 30 and March 7.
Area general manager May Boisen told ABC Radio Brisbane it would switch off its mobile base station on the roof of Mitchelton's Brookside Shopping Centre during work on the building's cooling tower and signage.
Despite expecting the impact on customers to be minimal, Ms Boisen said people unable to access landlines or alternative services offered by Telstra during these times could have trouble contacting emergency services.
"What normally happens in triple-0 scenarios is if the Telstra mobile network is not available it will switch over to another provider," she said.
To continue reading the article: click here. (radioaustralia.net.au)
Mobile phone outages for three Brisbane suburbs during upgrades
Telstra customers across three suburbs in Brisbane's north will not be able to call, text, or use data at times over the next two months, as shopping centre upgrades affect all networks.
Meanwhile, Vodafone and Optus customers can expect slower data speeds and reduced reception at times, but not complete blackouts like Telstra phones.
Mitchelton's Brookside Shopping Centre will be upgrading a cooling tower on top of the building from Tuesday until March 7, which will mean all phone providers with towers on the shopping centre's roof, will have to cut off their signal as well.
A Telstra spokeswoman said on Monday that customers in Gaythorne, Mitchelton and Everton Park would lose reception at times while the repairs were underway.
But the spokeswoman said the phone provider had taken necessary steps to minimise the impact on customers in the affected areas.
To continue reading the article: click here. (brisbanetimes.com.au)
Residents fear proposed Morley Vodafone tower, take petition to City of Bayswater
ABOUT 300 residents concerned over health risks and property prices have signed two petitions against a proposed phone tower near a shopping centre in Morley.
Dianella petitionists Monica Podesta and Luciana Martino gathered signatures from residents within 250m of the Wellington Village Shopping Centre after being notified by the City of Bayswater about the Vodafone proposal.
The phone tower is for the area behind IGA, where a low-impact mobile base station is also being planned by Optus.
It was up for public comment on the City’s website until February 6, but Deputy Mayor Chris Cornish said the City had extended the closing date to February 13.
According to the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency and the World Health Organisation, current research indicates there are no established health effects from the low exposure to radio waves generated by mobile phone transmission antennas.
To continue reading the article: click here. (communitynews.com.au)
Anger over proposed mobile phone tower in Secret Harbour
THE City of Rockingham held its first meeting of 2018 last Tuesday to a near-packed gallery of mainly angry Secret Harbour residents.
The group of residents were angry after the council reversed its decision to reject a 25m mobile phone tower from Telstra proposed to be built at the Secret Harbour Shopping Centre.
After Rockingham councillors rejected a committee report on Telstra’s development application for the tower, the corporation has since appealed Council’s decision by lodging a review application of the council’s decision with the State Administrative Tribunal.
The matter was considered by SAT at a directions hearing held on December 15, 2017 and ordered the council to reconsider the application.
A mediation meeting has been organised by SAT for both parties to attend on February 1.
To continue reading the article: click here. (communitynews.com.au)
Complaints about Telstra, Optus, Vodafone and others up 35 percent in Q4
Complaints lodged against major telco providers including Telstra, Optus and Vodafone increased to 8.7 complaints per 10,000 services in the final quarter of 2017, up 35 percent from the same period in 2016.
Recent data from the Telecommunication Industry Ombudsman, which tracks complaints per 10,000 user services across Telstra, Optus, Vodafone, Amaysim, Pivotel and others foudn that Optus copped the brunt of user grievances between October and December 2017, at 10.6 complaints per 10,000 services.
Telstra followed close behind at 9.2, with Vodafone and Amaysim trailing at 4.9 and 1.4 complaints per 10,000 services, respectively. Pivotel was untarnished during the period with a complaint ratio of 0.
The data, compiled into a brief report by Australian telco advocacy group Communications Alliance, showed complaints against Optus steadily increasing over the past five quarters, with complaints increasing each quarter since the October-December period in 2016, when 6.7 complaints per 10,000 services were recorded.
To continue reading the article: click here. (crn.com.au)
Telstra says Nundle’s phone problems are over
TELSTRA says Nundle’s phone dramas are over after it carried out maintenance work on the town’s mobile tower, however residents say they won’t be holding their breath.
For the past 12 months, locals have lost all mobile and landline service during a blackout, leading to safety concerns, particularly in the bush fires season.
A Telstra spokesperson said crews conducted out a “thorough review of the facilities” at Nundle.
“We have now replaced the batteries and we shouldn’t anticipate any unforeseen drop outs,” they said.
Fossickers Tourist Park owner Kim Somerville said she’ll wait and see what happens in the next blackout.
“I certainly won’t be holding my breath,” Ms Somerville said.
To continue reading the article: click here. (northerndailyleader.com.au)
Telstra turn three more towers on in the Upper Lachlan
Residents of Lost River, Peelwood Road and Rye Park are now benefiting from new and improved coverage on Australia’s largest mobile network.
Federal Member for Hume Angus Taylor said three new Telstra mobile towers funded under Round 2 of the Government’s Mobile Black Spot Program were providing 3G and 4GX mobile data services to these communities.
On Monday, Mr Taylor along with the State MP for Hume Pru Goward attended a community feedback session at the Laggan Memorial Hall.
“This is a substantial investment by the Coalition to extend telecommunications in these areas, connecting people, making it easier to do business and improving safety,” Mr Taylor said.
“It’s fantastic these towers are up and running. I look forward to more towers being switched on in Hume this year.”
Lost River resident Michael O’Brien said coverage had improved markedly since the tower near his Boorowa Road property was switched-on a few weeks ago.
To continue reading the article: click here. (crookwellgazette.com.au)
Black Spot program reaches new milestone
Telstra has deployed its 300th mobile base station under the government’s $220 million Mobile Black Spot Program, and the 100th in Western Australia alone.
The new base station at Wellington Mill also marks the passing of the halfway mark for the first two rounds of the program, which will see 765 new base stations deployed by Telstra, Optus and Vodafone in underconnected and commercially unviable areas by the end of the year.
The government has also committed more funding to address another 106 sites in priority black spot areas under the third round of the program. The locations to receive funding are expected to be announced in early 2018.
“Hundreds of communities across Australia are already seeing the benefits of improved mobile coverage,” Minister for Regional Communities Bridget McKenzie said.
“We are connecting families, friends and towns to new coverage that otherwise may never have reached them without Commonwealth investment.”
On top of the federal government’s commitment, the first two rounds of the program have received co-contributions of $287 million from the mobile operators and $141.2 million from six state governments, as well as $2.2 million by local governments, businesses and organisations.
To continue reading the article: click here. (technologydecisions.com.au)
Three mobile base stations installed in the South West
Telstra and government representatives have celebrated the delivery of new mobile base stations within the shires of Donnybrook-Balingup and Dardanup.
Three new stations were placed in Lowden, Ferguson Valley and Wellington Mill, among 429 locations awarded in round one of the Australian Government’s Mobile Black Spot Program.
The towers are part of Telstra’s $75 million investment in its networks across central and southern WA.
Telstra chief executive officer Andy Penn said he was delighted the service would greatly assist South West residents.
“Not only is it important for connectivity in the local community but also for businesses and emergency services as well,” he said.
The Wellington Mill tower marked the 100th station installed in WA and 300th in the country.
A further 83 towers will be installed throughout the state by the end of 2018.
To continue reading the article: click here. (bunburymail.com.au)
Faulty Adelaide Hills phone tower fixed three years after issue arose
A FAULTY phone tower that left Hills residents without service during power outages has been fixed by Telstra three years after the issue first arose.
As reported by The Advertiser on January 12, residents feared lives were being put at risk because Telstra’s Inglewood phone tower would fail whenever power was cut, leaving them unable to call for help during emergencies.
It was believed a faulty back-up battery was to blame for the problem.
Locals said outages, caused by either planned maintenance, storm damage, accidents or fallen trees, would plunge Inglewood as well as parts of Houghton and Paracombe into a telecommunications blackout.
They said a lack of phone services during power outages had been an issue since the Sampson Flat bushfires in January 2015 but complaints to the telco had fallen on deaf ears.
Following queries from The Advertiser earlier this month, Telstra said it would replace the back-up battery system at the Inglewood tower.
To continue reading the article: click here. (adelaidenow.com.au)