Page 2 of 46, 451 Total

New station to provide better mobile coverage

21 Jun 2017
TelstraNews

Residents in Kiama, Jamberoo and Berry can expect better mobile coverage with the installation of a base station at Woodhill.

More mobile base stations are being deployed to address black spots in NSW with work by Telstra on another 18 mobile sites under round two of the Mobile Black Spot Program (MBSP) underway.

The addition of the round two locations to the rollout schedule brings Telstra’s total number of new sites under the program to 577, generating $490 million worth of co-investment in rural and regional Australia.

Telstra Area General Manager Chris Taylor said Telstra was now rolling out new base stations to a total of 18 new sites in NSW under the MBSP.

“We heard the call from locals in rural and regional NSW for more mobile coverage and we have already delivered new state of the art mobile coverage and services in the state under the Mobile Black Spot Program,” Mr Taylor said.

To continue reading the article: click here. (southcoastregister.com.au)

Round Two of Black Spot Program – Brierfield a winner

15 Jun 2017
OptusNews

Brierfield and Yarrabandinni will both receive new mobile towers delivered under the second round of the Coalition Government’s Mobile Black Spot Program.

The Yarrabandinni tower is scheduled to be complete by the end of 2017, with Brierfield scheduled for completion by middle of 2018, both constructed by Optus.

Nationals Member for Cowper Luke Hartsuyker believes that these new towers have the potential to improve quality of life for those living in these areas.

“In our modern world, it’s easy for us to take for granted our connection to a mobile network but for those out in the more regional pockets of Cowper there can be limited connectivity,” Mr Hartsuyker said.

“Living in mountainous areas with dense bushland like ours is very beautiful, but it can be difficult to maintain strong mobile coverage over this type of terrain.

“The Government’s Mobile Black Spot Program targets these problematic areas and assists commercial telecommunication companies with the costs of providing better coverage to these areas.

To continue reading the article: click here. (bellingencourier.com.au)

Clearing up mobile black spots in the Mid-Western region

15 Jun 2017
InTheNews

Mid-Western region residents, living in mobile black spots, can now keep a closer eye on the progress of towers in the area.

Telstra, Optus and Vodafone have all released indicative roll-out schedules on their websites.

Minister for Regional Communications and Deputy Nationals Leader Fiona Nash has welcomed the move, “Australians can now check online to get an indication of when their new phone tower from rounds one and two are expected to be up and running.

“I do remind residents that these roll-out schedules are meant as an indication and could be subject to some change,” she said.

​All 266 round two base stations, contracted under agreements signed with the Australian Government through the Coalition’s Mobile Black Spots Program, are expected to be delivered by October 2018.

To continue reading the article: click here. (westernmagazine.com.au)

Businesses welcome valley mobile reception

13 Jun 2017
TelstraNews

Ferguson Valley businesses have welcomed a long-awaited mobile base station with winery and restaurant owners saying customers will be the biggest beneficiaries.

The new station has been described as a “huge bonus” after the area has previously been labelled a notorious black spot for mobile coverage.

As part of the Federal Government’s Mobile Black Spot Program, the station was officially launched during an event at Hackersley Estate on Friday.

Hackersley restaurateur Adrie Devitt told the Bunbury Herald the new station was a fantastic upgrade after “almost non-existent” mobile reception had been frustrating in the past.

“The actual fact it’ll be easier to communicate with customers is the main thing,” Mrs Devitt said.

St Aidan Wines owner Mary Smith said the station was a huge bonus for the area.

To continue reading the article: click here. (thewest.com.au)

VoLTE can be abused to track and spoof users

13 Jun 2017
InTheNews

Rooted Android phone and a SIM is all that's required.

Researchers have identified multiple flaws in voice over long term evolution (VoLTE) implementations that allow attackers to spoof and surveil users, and bypass billing and lawful interception capabilites for calls and data.

VoLTE is part of the 4G LTE standard, and uses voice over internet protocol (VoIP) open standards over IP multimedia system (IMS) networks. It offers higher call quality than 2G and 3G mobile voice services, with improved narrow and wideband audio encoders/decoders.

All mobile telcos in Australia offer VoLTE, and the feature is available to subscribers in 55 countries via 104 operators, researchers from French vendor P1 Security said.

By using a rooted (superuser enabled) Android device and a 4G SIM card, the researchers were able to attack subscribers and operator infrastructure via VoLTE [pdf].

By eavesdropping on the network interface set up by VoLTE implementations on Android phones like Samsung's Galaxy S6, the researchers were able to interact with the open standard session initiation protocol (SIP) used for setting up calls, and the session description protocol (SDP), which provides media information.

To continue reading the article: click here. (itnews.com.au)

Caves Beach residents fight mobile phone tower as Lake councillor calls for exclusion zone

13 Jun 2017
TelstraNews

A LAKE Macquarie councillor has called for an exclusion zone between mobile phone towers and homes, as residents in yet another street vow to fight Telstra over plans for a tower metres from their homes.

It comes as councillors on Tuesday night vote whether to approve a joint Optus and Vodafone tower proposed for Bulls Garden Road in Whitebridge – a proposal that has infuriated residents who fear health repercussions and impacts on property prices.

Another street closely watching the outcome of Tuesday’s vote are the residents of Scenic Drive in Caves Beach, who say they were blindsided by Telstra’s proposal for a 35-metre tower on Hunter Water land adjacent to homes.

Residents estimate the tower is proposed to be located 25 metres from the closest house. Caves Beach resident Scott Towers-Hammond said the proposal came “out of the blue”, after talk of a new tower in the area went quiet about two years ago.

To continue reading the article: click here. (theherald.com.au)

Telstra tackles 148 more mobile black spots

10 Jun 2017
TelstraNews

TELSTRA’s rmobile phone coverage is continuing to increase with 148 new mobile base stations allocated under round two of the Federal Government’s Mobile Black Spot Program (MBSP).

The addition of the round two locations to the rollout schedule brings Telstra’s total number of new sites under the program to 577, representing $490 million worth of co-investment in rural and regional Australia.

Telstra Group managing director, networks, Mike Wright, said providing state of the art telecommunication services to more parts of regional Australia was a key priority for Telstra.

“We know that increased mobile coverage is important for people in rural and regional Australia and we have a strong commitment and a clear plan to deliver that for them,” Mr Wright said.

“Under the Mobile Black Spot Program, we are activating a new mobile base station every two days on average since we launched our 100th site earlier this year, and our rollout ramps up even further with the addition of these 148 sites.

To continue reading the article: click here. (northqueenslandregister.com.au)

NBN drives relaxation of 'low-impact' antenna laws

10 Jun 2017
NbnNews

The government has quietly proposed the biggest shake-up of rules for mobile phone antenna installation in 20 years, with NBN Co behind several of the proposed changes.

The Communications department late Friday laid out a large number of proposed changes to what is classified as a “low-impact facility” under telecommunications law.

These are rules relied on by telcos to bypass state and local planning laws, mostly to deploy new mobile antennas.

They are already contentious and often criticised by residents groups as a way to deploy mobile infrastructure without consulting local communities.

The government is now proposing a major shake-up that would expand the type of antennas and poles that can be installed under low-impact rules, at the behest of NBN Co.

Other changes would allow larger diameter dishes to be deployed, as well as tower height extensions in commercially zoned areas for the first time.

To continue reading the article: click here. (itnews.com.au)

Mobile Black Spots Round Two

10 Jun 2017
InTheNews

Mundulla coverage is on the way as schedules are finalised for the mobile tower that will be delivered by October 2018.

Minister for Regional Communications and Deputy Nationals Leader Fiona Nash has welcomed the release of indicative rollout schedules for all mobile towers being delivered under Round 2 of the Coalition Government’s $220 million Mobile Black Spot Program.  

Mundulla’s tower will be covered by Telstra which along with Optus and Vodafone has now released indicative rollout schedules on it’s website.

The 266 Round 2 base stations have been contracted under agreements signed with the Australian Government through the Coalition’s Mobile Black Spots Program and all are expected to be delivered by October 2018.

“Australians can now check online to get an indication of when their new local phone tower from Rounds 1 and 2 of the Coalition’s Mobile Black Spots Program is expected to be up and running,” Minister Nash said.

“I do remind residents, and journalists, that these rollout schedules are meant as an indication and could be subject to some change.

To continue reading the article: click here. (borderchronicle.com.au)

Telstra: mobile black spot announcement justifies no roaming decision

10 Jun 2017
TelstraNews

Telstra’s rollout of the federal government’s Mobile Black Spot Program is ramping up further and the carrier is using its announcement to justify the recent ACCC draft decision not to declare mobile roaming.

According to Telstra, 148 new mobile base stations allocated under round two of the project have now been added to its rollout schedule.

The announcement comes amid the furore of the recent ACCC draft decision not to declare domestic mobile roaming which has prompted a court challenge from Vodafone Hutchison Australia and attracted criticism from much of the telco sector.

Telstra says the addition of the round two locations to the rollout schedule brings the carrier’s total number of new sites under the program to 577, “generating $490 million worth of co-investment in rural and regional Australia.”

Telstra Group managing director, Networks, Mike Wright, said providing state of the art telecommunication services to more parts of regional Australia was a key priority for Telstra.

“We know that increased mobile coverage is important for people in rural and regional Australia and we have a strong commitment and a clear plan to deliver that for them,” he said.

To continue reading the article: click here. (itwire.com)

Page 2 of 46, 451 Total
top