Page 135 of 159, 1587 Total

$2.5m Optus tower plan

26 Jan 2017
OptusNews

MOBILE phone coverage across Wangaratta is set to be improved with Optus announcing it is committing $2.5 million to building more towers.

Optus announced yesterday it had invested $1 million as part of the first stage of works, switching on a new tower in Billabong Drive in Wangaratta South, with a second to be completed in the CBD at the corner of Docker and Norton streets in around two months.

Planning has also started on a $1.5 million project to build three new towers for Barr Reserve, Wangandary Central and Bowser, which the organisation said would add capacity and improve coverage along the Hume Highway and the North East railway line.

To continue reading the article: click here. (wangarattachronicle.com.au)

Geelong council approves mobile phone tower at Leopold

26 Jan 2017
InTheNews

PLANS for a new phone tower in Leopold have been given the green light by the council despite residents’ attempts to protect their bay views.

Industry giants Optus and Vodafone had a combined application approved last Thursday night for a 33m-tall structure to be built at 2-130 Alexander Ave, following a seven-month process in which 11 objections were submitted.

City of Greater Geelong Planning and Development general manager Peter Bettess tried to allay concerns regarding its visual impact and said the facility met Australian emissions standards.

“The telecommunications facility will be painted light grey to minimise the visibility,” he said. “The telecommunications provider has explored all alternative locations, however there was no other suitable site.”

Plans for the phone tower were first submitted in May last year, but proponents amended the original multi-panel peak to a slightly taller, thinner spire shape in December following the objections by residents.

To continue reading the article: click here. (geelongadvertiser.com.au)

Moyne Shire defers tower decision

26 Jan 2017
TelstraNews

MOYNE Shire councillors have put a proposed new telecommunications tower at Tower Hill on hold. 

At their January meeting in Mortlake this week, councillors voted to defer a decision on whether to grant Telstra a permit to construct the new tower.

Telstra’s failure to attend a meeting on the site on January 17 with councillors and concerned residents was behind the deferral, they said. 

Telstra is seeking planning approval for the 55-metre development, 190 metres north-west of an existing 60-metre high tower. 

Cr Colin Ryan said Telstra’s public consultation on this matter has been virtually non-existent while Cr Dan Meade said it was disappointing Telstra had not turned up at the site meeting.

In the lead-up to the meeting, Illowa resident Peter Swainger said there was no consultation with Telstra.  

To continue reading the article: click here. (standard.net.au)

Piccolo hits out at phone tower snub

24 Jan 2017
InTheNews

The Federal Liberal government has “dudded” rural communities within the Light Electorate by not providing funding for mobile tower stations in Wasleys and surrounding districts.

Following the devastating November 25 2015 Pinery Fires, Light MP Tony Piccolo lobbied the State Government to provide a financial contribution to help secure a commitment from the Federal Liberal Government better mobile voice and wireless broadband coverage in rural and regional communities.

Mr Piccolo said the South Australian government committed to contributing $2 million to the second round of the Mobile Black Spot Programme.

The Federal Government’s Mobile Black Spot Programme provides funding to Mobile Network Operators to build new mobile base stations in regional locations, with $60m allocated nationally for round two.

Under the program, the tele giants including Telstra and Optus submit applications directly to the Federal Government for funding to build new base stations.

To continue reading the article: click here. (barossaherald.com.au)

Cities win out in mobile connectivity

24 Jan 2017
OptusNews

Wangaratta residents are set to enjoy a boost in mobile phone coverage with works under way to build five new towers, as outlying areas of the North East continue to be beset with connection problems.

Optus announced on Tuesday it had completed the first stage of a $2.5 million project to improve 3G and 4G services in the city, with one tower at Wangaratta South already completed and another in the CBD due to be online within months. 

A spokeswoman for Optus said the works were fully funded by the telco and not covered under the second round of the Coalition's blackspots program.

When asked why Wangaratta was chosen over other areas in the North East plagued by connectivity issues, she said the decision had been made after increased feedback from customers about the network.

Optus state manager Peter Kirk hoped the investment would improve network coverage for residents and small business operators.

To continue reading the article: click here. (bordermail.com.au)

Optus lifts regional mobile coverage through small cell connections

24 Jan 2017
OptusNews

Optus is boosting its investment in regional mobile phone coverage, announcing plans for the installation of satellite small cells across six different locations in South Australia and five locations in the Northern Territory.

Optus Networks acting managing director, Dennis Wong says the small cells will be located at selected locations across South Australia and the Northern Territory and will boost mobile coverage for locals and travellers across remote but significant locations.

Wong says the small units, known as ‘small cells’, provide the potential for an inexpensive and flexible alternative to traditional mobile towers, and when used in conjunction with satellite connectivity and backhaul, provides the combined benefits of expanding mobile broadband coverage in a concentrated local area in rural, remote and previously unserviced locations.

“We are investing significantly to strengthen and broaden our mobile network coverage in regional areas, and this rollout is a natural progression following the small cell infrastructure that was successfully delivered in the Northern Territory earlier this year,” Wong said.

To continue reading the article: click here. (itwire.com)

Association releases black spot survey

24 Jan 2017
InTheNews

A preliminary report has been released on the results of a mobile phone black spot survey conducted on the Bouddi Peninsula.

Wagstaffe-Killcare Community Association secretary Mr Ian Bull said the group thanked all who took the time to complete the mobile black spot survey conducted over December and January. “This survey was aimed at more clearly defining our mobile black spots to assist Member for Robertson Ms Lucy Wicks in her efforts to have the black spots addressed under the Federal Government’s Mobile Black Spot Program,” said Wagstaffe-Killcare Community Association secretary Mr Ian Bull.

“The areas of poor reception were loosely defined by our 2014 Mobile, TV and Radio reception survey, so forms for this survey were delivered only to those areas and immediate surrounds “Responses have been tabulated and transferred to a map of the area. “This illustrates quite graphically both where our black spots are and, after adding arrows to show the direction to the sources of our mobile signals (antennas on the Mantra, Ettalong, and on Blackwall Mountain), how they are created.

To continue reading the article: click here. (coastcommunitynews.com.au)

Mid January Update

19 Jan 2017
OzTowersMonthly

Telstra has been most active during the holiday season, Enabling 8 new sites as well as upgrading a further 21 sites. But Telstra also added proposals for a further 80 upgrades with most of those featuring 4G900, 2G900 is now being removed from all tower reports Telstra is publishing giving us a first look at what Telstra’s intentions with their 900Mhz band is. It appears that Telstra is only deploying 4G900 inside it now defunct 2G900 footprint, and that its going to be a progressive rollout along with the existing 4G1800 and 4G700 rollouts. Telstra has also enabled several towers in rural QLD along the recently lit fibre connection running to Birdsville, this represents a significant development for locals in the area.

There is not a whole lot to report for the other providers, Optus installed 5 new sites as well as upgraded 15 others. Vodafone installed 1 new site and upgraded 3 others. NBN also activated 1 additional site as well as proposed 1 new one also.

The low band 700mhz 4G gap between Optus and Telstra has decreased by 2 sites as Telstra plods on. Optus is still ahead of Telstra however in 4G700 by 1111 sites.

Leopold phone tower to ‘severely interfere’ with bay views, say residents

19 Jan 2017
InTheNews

RESIDENTS in Leopold have clashed with major mobile providers amid fears their bay views will be ruined if a proposed 30m-high communications tower is installed.

A joint venture between industry giants Optus and Vodafone has seen a planning application submitted for the tower to be built on 2-130 Alexander Ave, with the aim of enhancing mobile and wireless broadband coverage for customers in the north of the town.

However Viewbay Drive resident Neil Galloway said he and several neighbours were against the location, having raised concerns of property values slipping and scenery being “severely interfered with”.

“Several of us purchased our properties with the bay view as the main consideration,” he said.

“I believe the tower is meant to provide for a much wider area than that stated by the provider and that it could be better located for customer use.”

To continue reading the article: click here. (dailytelegraph.com.au)

It Costs Less Than $600 To Build Your Own Mobile Phone Network

19 Jan 2017
InTheNews

Sometimes, owning a smartphone feels pricey. There's the hefty chunk of change you'll need to spend on the phone itself, and then the monthly fee you'll need to fork over to operate it. But for just $US400 ($530) and the cost of a few old Zack Morris-style brick phones, you can avoid those expenses and build your own damn 1G mobile phone network.

Hackaday first pointed us to the DIY 1G project this past weekend at Shmoocon, a Washington, DC-based hacker convention. The scheme is the brainchild of Brandon Creighton, who previously helped build a small GSM-based phone network at DEF CON, an annual hacker conference in Las Vegas. But unlike GSM — which is currently used as the standard for phone networks in Australia — his 1G phone network is a tad less sophisticated.

In fact, it won't broadcast very far. You'll probably only be able to make lots of free wireless calls in your neighbourhood. But they will still be free calls, and they will be made with a sweet old school brick phone — the only kind capable of working on a 1G network.

To continue reading the article: click here. (gizmodo.com.au)

Page 135 of 159, 1587 Total
top