Page 12 of 139, 1386 Total

NBN gigabit connections will remain mostly a pipe dream

13 Oct 2018
NbnNews

The CVC costs set by the NBN Co make it very difficult for ISPs to offer gigabit connections to more than a select band of customers who are willing to sign up in numbers and pay slightly more than other speed tiers, according to one ISP who caters to this type of consumer.

Damian Ivereigh, chief executive of Launtel, a Launceston-based ISP, said his was probably the only company which would sell a gigabit connection over the NBN at the moment – and only in Tasmania at the moment.

"I believe that we are one of the reasons why Tasmania has a higher than average number of FttP upgrades going on, because you can get gigabit here," Ivereigh told iTWire in response to queries.

To continue reading the article: click here. (itwire.com)

Stuart Robert pays back $38,000 in excessive home internet charges

13 Oct 2018
NbnAltNews

Assistant Treasurer Stuart Robert says he has repaid $37,975 of "excess usage charges" in home internet bills footed by taxpayers.

Fairfax Media revealed last week that Mr Robert, who has only recently returned to the ministry, had been charging the government more than $2000 per month for internet at his Gold Coast home, 20 times the average claimed by politicians.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison immediately announced the government would investigate the expense claims, and Mr Robert's office said the Fadden MP would pay back "over $20,000" of data costs.

To continue reading the article: click here. (smh.com.au)

100Mbps fixed wireless: NBN Co forecast fewer than 6000 users

08 Oct 2018
NbnNews

NBN Co says that its forecasts showed that only around 5600 households and businesses would take advantage of its planned but now cancelled 100/400 megabits per second fixed wireless service.

The network wholesaler had intended to launch a 100Mbps wireless product in early 2018. In May, however, then-CEO Bill Morrow revealed that NBN Co had scrapped the idea. Morrow said that NBN Co had concluded the cost of offering the speed tier would be “outrageous”.

In a written response to questions from a parliamentary inquiry, NBN Co has indicated that by 2022 it had forecast a less than 1.4 per cent take-up rate of the 100Mbps option among fixed wireless users.

To continue reading the article: click here. (computerworld.com.au)

Full 5G implementation at least two years away, says Ruckus chief

08 Oct 2018
InTheNews

Despite all the hype about 5G at the moment, a full implementation of the technology specification is at least two years away, according to Carl Jefferys, ANZ country manager for Ruckus Wireless.

Asked what would be the earliest when there would be a 5G implementation that offered all the benefits of the technology, Jefferys said: " While we've seen carriers using the technology to demonstrate blistering data speeds in almost laboratory conditions, a full implementation of the specification is still at least two years away.

"The reality is that the full suite of specifications are still incomplete, and this takes time."

To continue reading the article: click here. (itwire.com)

Update: Some Optus services are down in Mudgee, here’s why

08 Oct 2018
OptusNews

Mudgee residents have been reporting issues connecting to some Optus services.

This is mostly due to planned work Optus is conducting in the area.

According to the Optus website, the planned work affects internet and email access for users and is scheduled between October 3 and 9.

Here’s the statement from their website:

To continue reading the article: click here. (mudgeeguardian.com.au)

Telstra switches on 500th mobile black spot site

08 Oct 2018
TelstraNews

Regional and rural communities will be able to tap into 5G faster thanks to the government's Mobile Black Spot Program bringing new and easily upgradeable towers to areas previously lacking coverage.

Telstra has lit up its 500th base station under the government program in Clarence, near Lithgow in the Blue Mountains outside of Sydney. Chief executive Andy Penn said the new station, along with the 800 being built under the initiative, could be easily upgraded to 5G once telcos have the equipment.

"As we rollout 5G, 5G antennas will go on the same tower," Mr Penn told The Australian Financial Review.

To continue reading the article: click here. (afr.com)

Mobile black spots must be fixed to improve safety, MP Tony Pasin says

30 Sep 2018
InTheNews

Mobile phone reception must improve to ensure the safety of regional Australians, federal MP Tony Pasin has told parliament.

Mobile phones were the number-one piece of safety kit in the regions, he said in a speech on September 18, and people such as his father – who worked remotely, aged in his 70s – depended upon them.

"We worry incessantly about the fact that he works with heavy machinery, he takes risks he probably shouldn't and that, if something goes bad, he won't be able to lean into his pocket and make that phone call," Mr Pasin said.

"Whilst he's got his phone with him, it's rendered useless because of the lack of coverage in many of the areas where he farms.

To continue reading the article: click here. (murrayvalleystandard.com.au)

Call for residents to nominate worst black spots for mobile reception

30 Sep 2018
InTheNews

Hawkesbury residents are being urged to nominate their most hated mobile blackspots across the region.


Macquarie MP Susan Templeman, said she has until Thursday, October 11 to submit a list of priority blackspots to be considered for the  latest round of mobile blackspot funding.

"Anyone living or driving through the Hawkesbury will know there are large areas that suffer from poor to zero mobile reception," she said. "That's not just an inconvenience; it's a big problem when bushfires are a feature of every single summer, and when accidents occur on our roads.

To continue reading the article: click here. (hawkesburygazette.com.au)

Quay group don’t want new phone tower

27 Sep 2018
TelstraNews

TELSTRA has proposed a new phone tower at The Quay Reserve, Torquay; an area used by sporting groups, surrounded by homes, an aged-care facility, child-care and schools.

Julie Fitzpatrick, an allied health professional, has lived within 150 metres of the proposed tower for 13 years.

She is versed in educating the public about potential environmental health issues and has reached out to other concerned residents.

A new Facebook group ‘The Quay versus Telstra Tower(s)’ has been established to keep residents informed of the associated health risks.

To continue reading the article: click here. (freelocalnews.com.au)

Victoria to consider rejoining mobile blackspot program

27 Sep 2018
InTheNews

VICTORIA will consid­er rejoining the Federal Government’s mobile blackspot program, after walking away from it nine months ago.

Victorian Minister for Innovation and Digital Economy Philip Dalidakis told The Weekly Times the state was willing to look at contributing to the federal program’s fourth round, “as long as they (the Federal Government) are using the program properly and not for political gain”.

“We withdrew from the federal program ­because it was being used as a pork-barrelling program,” he said.

To continue reading the article: click here. (weeklytimesnow.com.au)

Page 12 of 139, 1386 Total
top